Will this sector suit me?
“My workplace is a mountain playground! It’s awesome meeting and talking to lots of different people every day – most are on holiday and so relaxed so it’s even better!”
Trevor, lift operator, Remarkables, Queenstown
What qualities will I need?
It’s all about people – doing everything you can to meet their needs and help them live their dreams. Usually you’re working in a community of likeminded people and it can be very social and loads of fun working with people who are creative and entertaining. The work is varied but it can also be hard. There are systems and procedures to conform to and you have to be polite, even when others are grumpy. In some jobs you may need to do shift work or work holidays and weekends. It’s a sector where you can learn and grow at work, with heaps of on-the-job training. Culture and heritage are strong drivers in this sector. And it’s a great sector if you like the idea of travel, because you can take your skills and experience to jobs all over New Zealand and overseas.
What key competencies do employers look for?
Employers will be expecting to match your key competencies to their workplace:
- You’ll need to be able to think quickly to respond to customer needs, understand products, and recall information.
Relating to others
- A friendly and professional approach to a wide range of people is required.
- You’ll have great communication skills and be able to relate to people from all walks of life.
Participating and contributing
- You’ll have the opportunity to work in a strong team environment to make a real difference to your customers and add value to your organisation.
- You’ll take responsibility for being on time, presenting yourself well, learning from your mistakes, and being willing to listen and learn on the job.
Using language, symbols, and text
- You’ll be able to use basic maths for accurate sales and stock control, money handling, and weighing.
- You’ll be able to read and understand policies and procedures, business documents, and material to develop product knowledge.